Cancer prevention saves lives and money. We call on the next State Government to implement a comprehensive approach to preventing cancer in WA, including:
- Implementing the recommendations of the WA Sustainable Health Review and State Cancer Plan 2020-2025.
- Protecting children from the marketing of unhealthy food and drink and alcohol products.
- Increasing access to smoke-free environments, including making prisons, and all outdoor eating areas of liquor licensed premises 100% smoke-free.
- Stopping the alcohol industry pushing cheap alcohol products on people who are vulnerable.
- Strengthening planning regulations to consider public health impacts and mitigate cancer risks within local communities.
- Continuing to deliver highly successful public education campaigns (that are the envy of other states/territories and countries) on tobacco, alcohol, healthy weight, and increasing participation in effective screening programs.
- Addressing inequality and disparity in cancer outcomes for people living in regional and remote WA through increased funding of the Find Cancer Early Program.
- Developing the skills and capacity of Aboriginal Health Professionals through the provision of accredited cancer education courses.
- Providing the necessary protections so that West Australians can go to work knowing that they aren’t increasing their risk of cancer.